Unemployment has become a huge problem in many countries, specifically African countries. Rwanda is among the countries that is facing this problem too.
The unemployment rate in Rwanda is rising geometrically as population increases.
Rwanda has a current unemployment rate of ****0.60****% (2013) and a current youth unemployment rate of ****0.70****% (2013).
Data Source: Rwanda - Unemployment Data on Quandl.com
It might be due to lack of qualified personnel’s, or lack of jobs created to cover the population of job seekers who are increasing every year.
On the other hand, it’s not that there are no opportunities out there… the problem is candidates don’t know how to reach those opportunities as more jobs are likely to be in the hidden market.
Most of the job seekers are still hunting for jobs primarily by looking for positions posted online via websites like Jobsinrwanda.org, Jobinrwanda.com, ZoomTanzania, Indeed.com and Simplyhired.com etc which aggregate job offerings and make searching easier.
What is the solution to these..?In today’s world, Networking is the key to everything. Looking for a job it’s easy if you have a network of people that will help you find a job. Likewise in business... it all applies in every aspect of today’s life.
Well, will provide you with an effective ways that will be helpful to increase your job search chances by 70% through networking.
When it comes to job searching — Networking is essential.
Here is what you should do...
1. Start with people you know.Networking is all about interacting with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts.
Then start with the people you know, the people close to you. No one knows you better than the people who are close to you. Your family, friends and relatives can be a good start as a network that will help you get a job very easily.
Then expand our network from there, friends of friends and their acquaintances.
The more your network expands the more easy to get help it becomes as people will be keen to help you get a job as they know you well.
2. Make New Contacts Each Day.Individuals who are looking for a job should make at least 5 new contacts a day by making phone calls, sending e-mails or even showing up at a company's door steps and ask for an opportunity if available.
You don’t have to be scared to reach to people, it’s the same type of job a sales representative often has to do every day — making calls and hustling to find new business or customers. There is no different from someone seeking for a job
There more people you reach gives you more chances of actually getting a job.
3. Joining Professionals Networks such as — LinkedInFor people who are not familiar with LinkedIn, they must be asking themselves what is LinkedIn..? Well, I will explain it all in a simple and understandable language.
What Is LinkedIn?LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally.
When you join LinkedIn, you get access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that help you be great at what you do.
Sarah Landrum wrote on — How to use linkedIn to network and find a job.
Here are a few things to help you land a job and effectively network by using LinkedIn.
1. Build a better profile that will attract companies to reach out to you.
2. Make connections as LinkedIn has a huge base of professionals
3. Join LinkedIn Groups for more reach and increase your connections
4. Browse for Jobs Efficiently on LinkedIn — 77% of all job openings are posted on LinkedIn and 48% of recruiters post jobs solely on LinkedIn.
According to people at Masters in Human Resources, "LinkedIn is the preferred social networking site for recruiters."
Well, this can give you a clear answer that recruiters love LinkedIn. It simplifies their work, it costs less to use, and users can't lie about their work experience when they have professional contacts who can view what they post.
Although LinkedIn is mostly preferred for reaching professionals but other social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others have a huge impact too when searching for a job.
4. Use other Social Networks too.
Follow company’s pages on social networks for their job updates as most companies these days are on social networks as they are building their customer base by reaching more people even those who are online. Use it to your advantage.
I believe that, the job market is undeniably tough, but there are more positions available than many people think.
However, job seekers will have to be creative, smart and disciplined to find them.
To search for the latest jobs in Rwanda visit: Jobsinrwanda.org